Out and about...

The places I call Americana...or Hometown USA...are something my kids will never really know. My grandchildren could possibly in time only read about them, probably online because those local newspapers are dying by the day.

This is why I'm adding a feature to my blog called Out and About. It's about places I have found and made a point to enjoy. It's places I invite anyone who reads about them to visit...and for a brief moment, visit yesteryear.

Caldwell, Ohio, and the Archwood Restaurant

Favorite Pasttime

Favorite Pasttime
One can't describe the feeling of catching a wild West Virginia Trout with a rod you built and a fly you tied.

My Favorite Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

©Copyright 2008-2014.

All written text and photography are copyrighted. Please enjoy but do not use without permission of the author, David Akers.







Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Memories of Another Day...

Memories Of Another Day is the title of one of my favorite books by Harold Robbins. If one has not read it, I highly recommend it.

I was born and raised in the southern mountains of West Virginia in a small community just out side of Beckley by the name of Beaver. Beaver held a mixed culture of timber workers and Miners.

My mother was born and raised on Pinch Creek in a spot called Pluto. My grandfather on her side was a well known Postmaster as well as a store keeper. My father's family came from the Odd and Dunns area. My grandfather was a well known cabinet maker and carpenter. I can't even begin to guess how many saws he sharpened. He built some of the most beautiful church furniture in the Raleigh, Mercer and Summers county area. My father was a well known carpenter in and around Beckley. Some of the older beautiful homes were his craftsmanship.

I graduated from Shady Springs High School in 1967. A lot has happened since that summer. A war, marriage, jobs and children soon can slip into the distance between then and now. But the memories and the culture are still deep seated in my mind and heart.

For those that know me, and will soon know me, know of the love affair I have with this beautiful state of West "By God" Virginia. Each scene I take in never loses it's wonder. Each foggy morning on Cheat Mountain and the Upper Shavers still tugs at my heart and reminds me this is Almost Heaven. My heart still fills with emotion, and my mind begins to run once I start down the turnpike or I77. I was homesick the day I left. I still am after 40 years. It has changed ,just as most places do. Yet there is a magic about this state that will continue on. The first time I heard "Country Roads ", I was on temporary duty in Detroit, Michigan. I was on my to my billet from the base. It was a Friday night and half way through the song, I started grabbing gears in my new Dodge Challenger and headed right to West Virginia. I still get tears in my eyes each time I hear that song or hear my granddaughter sing it. God Bless the Blue and Gold. I was born a mountaineer and will die a mountaineer. I don't care what their record might be.

As a teenager, I worked at a grocery store in Beaver. Making deliveries to Flat Top, Raleigh, Table Rock, Redden Ridge, Cool Ridge, Ghent and the surrounding hollows, gave me an education that no price can be attached. I have sat in the kitchens of miners and farmers. I have drunk cold spring water with what some would label true Hillbillies...and I'm proud of it. I have watched the good Ol' boy politicians come in the store on Saturday morning and promise the sun, chewing on cigars that cost as much as most would make in a day. I fished Glade and Pinch Creek as well as Camp Creek. I was one of the few that could sit and talk to the local hermit and he always asked me to come back. The fact I shared a cut off my plug of Ol'Mule didn't hurt. I've hiked the ridges to New River Canyon and watched a fall of splendor come in a hickory grove. Each step much like a bookmark, each scene a burned in memory, that I so wish I could share with children and others.

My father didn't hunt or fish. He never had the time. But two gentlemen from Beaver took me under their wings when I was just a lad and taught me the art and skill of fly fishing. Just as those misty mornings and cool summer evenings never left me, neither has fly fishing and love of it all. Trout live in such beautiful places.

I hope over time to share some of these memories and events in my life. Mainly for my children and friends. But hopefully they will spur the same with those that might happen upon this blog and collection of thoughts.

I want to add to this introduction my appreciation for a dear friend in Oregon who has encouraged me to do this. One can not find a more beautiful and special southern lass. Dianne Campbell, I thank you so very much for all the help and instruction. I suggest anyone that wants to see such a wonderful talent and skill from such a beautiful woman visit her web site at
http://www.patacakebabies.com/wordpress/. Her creations of newborn dolls are unbelievable.

To each of you who visit my blog, thank you and I do hope you enjoy it as much as I do sharing it with you.

1 comments:

SouthernHeart said...

Dear David,

I'm so happy that you've indeed decided to share that wonderful gift of writing with the world, so that others may see West Virginia and its beauty through your eyes.

I remember years ago traveling from Tennessee to Virginia and going through a very long tunnel...coming out on the other side in the most beautiful scenery I had very seen...yes, West Virginia!

We'll also look forward to some of your award worthy photography!

Blessings,
Dianne