Out and about...

The places I call Americana...or Hometown USA...are something my kids will never really know. My grandchildren could possibly in time only read about them, probably online because those local newspapers are dying by the day.

This is why I'm adding a feature to my blog called Out and About. It's about places I have found and made a point to enjoy. It's places I invite anyone who reads about them to visit...and for a brief moment, visit yesteryear.

Caldwell, Ohio, and the Archwood Restaurant

Favorite Pasttime

Favorite Pasttime
One can't describe the feeling of catching a wild West Virginia Trout with a rod you built and a fly you tied.

My Favorite Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

©Copyright 2008-2014.

All written text and photography are copyrighted. Please enjoy but do not use without permission of the author, David Akers.







Sunday, February 28, 2010

Out and about...

Once scattered across this wonderful country of ours, were those small hometowns that offered all anyone could want. Quite often these were centered around the county seat or areas that pulled from the outlying country side. So many movies and books have used them as the main character or in art work as the main theme. These gems of society were scattered up and down both coasts and through out the midwest. Most social and civic activities centered around these towns. Stores offered just about anything one would need in their daily lives. Churches often worked as an expoxy to hold them together and Sunday mornings were hearlded in with chimes and church bells. There was usually the hardware stores and post offices that served as a gathering spot for the locals to catch up on all the local news and happenings. One could walk down the sidewalks and be in a constant nod to those they knew or were met with a greeting and exchange of well wishes. The barber usually knew you by your first name as well as your children's. The butcher knew exactly how you wanted your meat cut and often pitched in a scrap bone for your pet without asking. The world had few problems that couldn't be solved while a plug of tobacco was shared, offered on the edge of a pocket knife blade.



I have always had a fasination with such places. Often in my travels when I pass such a place, I let my mind wander back to what it was at one time. I was trout fishing in a southern community in the southern part of West Virginia and stopped for a cup of coffee. I walked over to a wall that lined the sidewalk and began to take in the view of what was once a bustling home town to so many and a center point of the lives to hundreds of miners and their families.

The store fronts were boarded or the windows were painted over. Still remaining, was the evidence of where a sign had been. Signs for hardware or .5 and dimes. Signs of a closed out grocery with the shelves still holding the fort of once such an important place. It was as though the contrast from weathering on the walls was a memorial to these once thriving ventures.

There were also signs of the time and a gradual change that has robbed us of these treasured places. As a youngster, I'd walk by or in places like Rake's Hardware, Lilly Hardware, or the Keystone service station, and always find a group of men seeing who could top the other's story. Once the mail was up at the local post office, you'd always find someone there that could bring you up to speed on who was doing what, who was ill, who had passed or simply asking how your family was. The building of interstates and byways slowly put these places to rest and out of business.

Gone are the days of using a community as a social network instead of an internet site. The remains of these are often seen from a distance or an exit along a hurried life. Large shopping centers and malls replace those places that hold to my imagination so strongly. Local goverment is so often in large, cold and unfriendly glass buildings. Strangers that begged for your vote now have no clue who you are or your name. Often so many of these that were once dreams by a small business man are torn down for parking or to make way for cookie cutter homes and "super stores".

These places I call Americana, or Hometown USA, are something my kids will never really know. My grandchildren could possibly in time only read about them. Probably online because those local newspapers are dying by the day. This is why I'm adding a feature to my blog called Out and About. It's about these places I have found and made a point to enjoy. It's places I invite anyone that reads about them to visit, and for a brief moment, vist yesteryear.

One such place is a small community north of Parkersburg called Caldwell, Ohio. Caldwell is the county seat of Noble county and once saw the boom of timber, oil and coal. It's a beautiful area with rolling hills and farm land just off interestate 77 before one gets to Cambridge. Along Main street and across from the court house is a place that, to me, symbolizes small town structure and a hold out from days long gone. It's called the Archwood Restaurant. It sits on the corner, and one might miss it if they were not looking for it. Once you step inside, you soon find yourself in the midst of a true delight. There has always been a friendly greeting as you walk to your booth or table. It doesn't take long to notice that the conversation is among those that know each other.

I have always played a game when I travel, especially trout fishing. I try to find the best of certain foods that would warrent me to come back. The Archwood has it covered from top to bottom. The hamburgers are a thing of the past. They are two handed delights that can fill anyone's appetite. The Big Jun breakfast leaves nothing uncovered, and each one I have enjoyed was prepared just like the first. Your coffee cup or drink is never empty. There is never a feeling of being hurried out the door. You'll always find a couple copies of the local newspaper on the counter and a desert list that can satisfy any sweet tooth. The eatery is clean and comfortable and always so very friendly. It fasinates me to sit and watch others come in and greet each other. The conversation in genuine and friendly. When the waitress comes by to refill your drink and asks how your meal was, you get the feeling they really care. I love sitting in a booth and watching out the window at a world as it is, wondering what it was once like. When you cross the street or walk to where you are parked. so often a passer by will wave even if they don't know you. If one is ever in the area, I so strongly urge them to seek it out and stop by. You won't be sorry.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your sentiments regarding this restaurant. Good food, great atmosphere in small town USA that is not too far from me. Trish