Out and about...

The places I call Americana...or Hometown USA...are something my kids will never really know. My grandchildren could possibly in time only read about them, probably online because those local newspapers are dying by the day.

This is why I'm adding a feature to my blog called Out and About. It's about places I have found and made a point to enjoy. It's places I invite anyone who reads about them to visit...and for a brief moment, visit yesteryear.

Caldwell, Ohio, and the Archwood Restaurant

Favorite Pasttime

Favorite Pasttime
One can't describe the feeling of catching a wild West Virginia Trout with a rod you built and a fly you tied.

My Favorite Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

©Copyright 2008-2014.

All written text and photography are copyrighted. Please enjoy but do not use without permission of the author, David Akers.







Monday, July 18, 2011

All things come to an end


Fourteen years ago, I discovered a small wood sided house on the Little Kanawha River for sale. The dwelling wasn't much at all.  But the place and the property had potential. I first visited the property in the fall and was hooked. The leaves were in full color and the property begged for someone to treat it right.  Over the years, I added to the dwelling. I tried to create a coastal New England feeling with the way it was all done. Maybe only to me, but that was my intention. I have known floods, especially the bad one in Sept of 2004. Most got discouraged and moved away. I cleaned and rebuilt and braced for whatever was in store for the future.


 


On a visit to Savannah, Georgia, I cut some sprigs of ivy from in front of the Mercer House where the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was filmed. I planted the sprigs at the base of one of my large Maples and watched it grow and form a beautiful blanket underneath. I planted hard-to-find Lillies. Some my pride and joy. Especially the one called Valentine's Kiss, a dark red beauty that tends to last and last. I've been snowed in and spent countless hours in front of the fireplace with a book I couldn't lay down.

Akers Landing has known joy and heartache. Some of the most important decisions of my life were made out on the deck in the late night hours or just after dawn with a cup of coffee. I had all my kids and grandkids here for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Standing back listening and watching and wondering all the while where time has gone. My workshop has put out some beautiful furniture that now graces someones home. I've fished and boated from early spring till late fall when the river is lined with every color of autumn. I sat on the deck one evening last fall and counted 23 deer grazing in the field in front of my driveway. I had a squirrel named Fatso that became a morning delight to watch.



But it's time for a change. Time for a new adventure somewhere else. I don't know where for sure. But it has to be a place I can put my heart,mind and talents to. For it will be my last.  I'll still have a love for the river.  For water anywhere for that matter.  This blog will continue with memories that flood my mind sometimes and I have a strong desire to share.  As I look around the rooms tonight at all the things packed and the furniture I've built over the past 14 years, I have to say it's been nice.  I've heard all the ridicule for living on the water such as I have.  Those that scorned didn't walk in my shoes, or share the mornings I've had on the deck in the fall and spring.  They haven't sat in front of the french doors with a fire roaring and warm, while snow built up on the pines. They haven't watched the marvel of Mother Nature at first hand as I have so many times. They didn't see the many smiles when I'd catch a hybrid bass on my fly rod in the spring. This house had heart and, at times, only I could see it.

I bought the property on the river for it's privacy and quiet.  I tend to steer from people at times. Yet while there, I met neighbors who didn't know the term selfish. A couple,Joe and Janis Decator, who opens their home to children of all ages and never passed without a greeting or a smile. Saying good bye to these wonderful neighbors will be with a lump in my throat. It's difficult starting over at my age. Yet the thought of a new adventure, new designs and building works as a damper on that fear.  As I looked around the near empty rooms, I thought of the times I walked the floors in the wee hours of the night screaming with headpain from the Clusters. Then as a flash video, I'd see other times of solitude, family and loved ones. I thought about the hanging scent of bread being baked and the smell of oak in the fireplace. I thought of waking at night hearing the ice break up in winter and watching a sight of nature few will ever see. I thought of my son yelling at me from the dock to get my camera as a large catfish was landed at night.  I thought of neighbors sitting in the front room which is something I was not used to.  I have no desire to replace Akers Landing...just cherish it. For I'm sure I will again have the comfort I built there. It will just take time.





1 comments:

Dianne said...

I know it wasn't an easy decision to leave your peaceful life on the river and the wonderful cottage you'd created, but I'm sure the next one will be just as great. I look forward to your post about it one day soon!

Blessings,
Dianne