Out and about...

The places I call Americana...or Hometown USA...are something my kids will never really know. My grandchildren could possibly in time only read about them, probably online because those local newspapers are dying by the day.

This is why I'm adding a feature to my blog called Out and About. It's about places I have found and made a point to enjoy. It's places I invite anyone who reads about them to visit...and for a brief moment, visit yesteryear.

Caldwell, Ohio, and the Archwood Restaurant

Favorite Pasttime

Favorite Pasttime
One can't describe the feeling of catching a wild West Virginia Trout with a rod you built and a fly you tied.

My Favorite Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

©Copyright 2008-2014.

All written text and photography are copyrighted. Please enjoy but do not use without permission of the author, David Akers.







Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tis the season once again

Winter paid the river a visit today. The air temp was just above 22 degrees with snow flurries all day. The winter sky I'm so familiar with was predominate for sure. It was a good day to build a nice fire, make a pot of coffee and simply relax. Most of my woodworking projects for Christmas are done and I wanted to take advantage of a day like this.

38 years ago today my daughter was born. Oh, how I so well remember that day. I was stationed at Shaw AFB in Sumter, SC. It was a long labor, and the nurse had sent me home, telling me there was nothing I could do and to get out of her way. I had just gotten ready to sit down and relax a few minutes when the phone ran. I was summoned to the hospital. I hurried to get ready and when I opened the door I had two surprises waiting on me. One was a fog so thick you couldn't even see the car. The other was our Santee Pointer named Trixie took out after a possum that was in the yard. Not what I needed. I finally got the dog back in and then faced the trip to the base. The fog was so thick I used a flashlight with the door open to follow the berm of the road.

That night I was given one of the greatest gifts a man can receive. I have been so proud of her since that very first moment. Nothing has changed. She is a beautiful mother in her own right, now with a doll baby of a granddaughter. Just as all three are to me.

As I went from one small project to the other today, I put my Christmas CD's on. I'm sure everyone has their favorites from the old standards of years gone by to even some of the new modern versions. A couple of years ago I came across a Christmas special on PBS. It was called a Christmas from Dublin. The group is four ladies by the name of the "Celtic Women". I honestly think that their voices are what angels will sound like. I'm partial to Celtic music anyway and this just captured my mind and heart. But one of my all time favorites is John Denver and the Muppets Christmas Together Album. If you should get the chance to either pick the album up or view some of the cuts on Youtube, it's more than worth it.

There's just something about a cold December day, with the way the sun sets at dusk that brings so many thoughts to my mind. I was thinking today how rich I am as a man. For I have seen that special look in my children's eyes on Christmas morning. It's just something one can't put a price on and I will never forget.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Another beautiful post, David. I also have a December daughter who has blessed me immeasurably. Right now, she is in Ethiopia bringing home my beautiful adopted grandson while I'm in Iowa taking care of her other three precious children. She'll be home soon and it will be a very special Christmas indeed.

I've loved the Celtic Women also, ever since a very dear friend sent me their CD's and a wonderful DVD.

Keep writing and have a very Merry Christmas with those precious granddaughters!

Christmas blessings,
Dianne

Anonymous said...

Would love to see the Celtic Women in concert - love to hear their harmonious voices and instrumental talents displayed. The fire place is beautiful, David - so warm and inviting. Trish