Out and about...

The places I call Americana...or Hometown USA...are something my kids will never really know. My grandchildren could possibly in time only read about them, probably online because those local newspapers are dying by the day.

This is why I'm adding a feature to my blog called Out and About. It's about places I have found and made a point to enjoy. It's places I invite anyone who reads about them to visit...and for a brief moment, visit yesteryear.

Caldwell, Ohio, and the Archwood Restaurant

Favorite Pasttime

Favorite Pasttime
One can't describe the feeling of catching a wild West Virginia Trout with a rod you built and a fly you tied.

My Favorite Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

©Copyright 2008-2014.

All written text and photography are copyrighted. Please enjoy but do not use without permission of the author, David Akers.







Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Eve 2008

I have often pondered the words to such a famous song that we all hear this time of the year. Especially tonight. This history of Auld Lang Syne is an old one. It's an old Scottish tune penned in the 1700's . The lyrics to me are very confusing for I hold dearly to acquaintances of old and cherish each one for different reasons. For some I have lost contact with. Others are simply by this electronic marvel we all use. But each one so valuable to me. They span this country from east to west. From a fly fishing guide in Montana, to those that still live in Beckley and have chosen to include me on their list of friends. There are those that began as total strangers I happen to meet on a trout stream somewhere. Some I have worked with and some that have passed on to another life or world. Yet, each I hold dearly and on this night each year I make a point to think of them. I wonder, who will enter my life in the coming year and what all it may hold.

To each who have taken the time to read this blog and leave me a comment, and to all who walk along this pathway of life with me, I sincerely wish each and every one of you a very Happy New Year. May 2009 hold for you good health, wealth and smiles. Let's all share a cup of kindness and cheer. Happy New Year...

1 comments:

SouthernHeart said...

Every time I hear the lilting melody of Auld Lang Syne, tears come to my eyes...I just can't help it. It brings back memories of friends and family and years long past.

You share from your heart, David...and that's rare these days; so, please keep on writing.

Happy New Years, David. I hope 2009 brings great joy, health and more than enough means to live quite comfortably...

Blessings to you,
Dianne